Monday, February 9, 2009

scrapbook une


These are strings from a sweatshirt and sweatpants that the washing machine destroyed. I'm an odd individual and can't throw anything away, so I simply shoved these in my desk drawer. The other day I went to grab a notebook and was immediately drawn to them. Even though I had just tossed them aside, they had formed such an interesting pattern and shape. The different blues weaved back and forth, helping the eyes flow through the curves. After that, I inspected them closer. Upon doing so I noticed the patterns within the strings themselves. The weaving resembles the design of a intricate and detailed basket. I loved finding the random imperfections as well, from either faulty construction, or the demonic washing machine. While they looked really interesting shoved in my desk drawer, I would never think of these strings as art. In today's society they are simply designed to tighten your hood or your pants. They are not meant to be eye catching or aesthetically pleasing. Yet, how many of these day to day items do we take for granted? Without these, people would be kind of lost. I'm glad I took notice of these. There are so many things out there to see that it's hard to appreciate all of them. If we slow down from time to time, it's easier to notice, but how many of us actually have time to slow down?

No comments:

Post a Comment