Wednesday, February 11, 2009

growing up on the interwebnet

1. Prior to Facebook and MySpace, I think 'social network' was way more personal. In today's society, god forbid we actually meet people we call our friends. Before these networks, people made legitimate efforts to get to know people, and from that they met other people, and so on and so forth. There was no digital connotation to it. My mother had a "Facebook" at William & Mary. It was a paper version of today's social network. Everyone was entitled to look through it, but if you wanted to meet the person, you had to make the first move, face to face.

2. a. Ohmygawd Julie, guess what?! There is this amazing thing online called FACEBOOK. It could be a great way we could keep in touch over the school year. There are applications where we can chat, view each other's interests, and even see pictures! It will take talking on the phone to a whole new level. It would be like we were never three states apart!
b. Mom; Dad. I found this social networking online that is really amazing. It's a site that allows me to stay in contact with both old and new friends through chatting, pictures, and interests. I just found my friend Lauren, remember, from elementary school?! She goes to Boston College now, isn't that amazing!? You can even find your friends from high school and college too! Yes, others can see your account, but if you're safe about it, it's totally fine. (This is pretty much a legitimate conversation I had with my parents).
c. Neither of my grandparents have a computer, or really understand the concept of the internet. I think if I attempted to explain Facebook to them, their brains would explode
d. Suzy, have you called that boy from the sock hop yet? No? Why? Are you too nervous to call? Well I know of this great place on the internet where you don't even have to talk to him face to face. It's called facebook, and it's basically writing him digital correspondence. Another plus? You get to learn all about him from his profile! Maybe if you're lucky he'll give you a romantic bumper sticker, that's as good as getting pinned!

3. Any information you find on Facebook has to be taken with a grain of salt. While many put down their true information, you have to wonder if some of it is exaggerated. I think the thing that draws many people to a stranger's site is the profile picture. You see a face and it's human nature to want to know what these people are like. The picture then leads you to read more about the individual, etc. I clicked on one of those, "We think you should be friends with" options, and got a ridiculously pervy, sketchy guy, that for some reason is friends with a majority of the girls I went to high school with. I would not add him as a friend, because I really don't want to flaunt the fact I exist to him. His picture is him looking all seedy and creepy, but I am sure he thinks he looks sexy. The rest of his page is full of stuff about half naked women and binge drinking. His status was "looking for a good time". A real winner, one to take home to the parents, no? I want to know if this really works for him.

4. No, because as individuals we always have to right to go above and beyond any standards that are set, or even way below those standars.

5. The more technological advances there are, means the more there is to give to the world. I remember when there was only livejournal. That was pretty much a diary online. Then it started evolving and suddenly you could choose a mood icon, insert a picture, embed music. It became more than just words. Words come from the heart, but things like pictures, design, music taste, say a lot about the individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment