Monday, February 9, 2009

artist deux

Horror Chase

The husband and wife duo, Kevin and Jennifer McCoy are interesting new media artists. Together, they digitally remix scenes from films to create their own story. Horror Chase really caught my attention. I have always had a sick obsession with horror films since before I can remember. These six images caught my attention immediatley. With Horror Chase the McCoy's went beyond themselves and legitimately "re-filmed" the scene. Rather than remixing, they built a movie set and re-created Sam Raimi's (who directed spiderman and such...) Evil Dead II (a classic, I'm sure). Once filming was complete, they digitally altered the scenes so that at random intervals the man would be running from the attacker, and then towards the attacker. I love the message that this sends. These artists take a known story, something else someone has painfully described in detail, and completely change the ending in a sense. The scenes may look the same, but by changing something as simple as the order they dramatically change the purpose of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment