Wednesday, February 25, 2009

scrapbook seis


This is another lovely object I found in the depth of my book bag. An ordinary boring pencil. By the time my friends arrived at the Daily Grind, I had a majority of my belongings sitting on the table. One of my friends commented on this pencil in particular. She was thoroughly disturbed at the fact I chew on my pencils. To me it's nothing, I have been biting pens and pencils for years, but to her I was apparently killing the writing utensil. I ignored her comment, but took a closer look at the pencil. Bite marks on a pencil are really facsinating to examine. They drastically alter the appearance of the pencil and give the generally flat surface some texture. Some of them barely dent the golden covring, but others cut close to the core, creating subtle cracks. If these cracks are exacerbated, the pencil could even snap in half. Although I would never present this to a gallery, I will appreciate this pencil a little bit more until it is finally unusable, or knowing me, lost for real. It is hard to remember what each mark was from. Was I bored in class? Was I stressed about a paper? Was I trying to figure something out? Each mark is an emotion. They are special, like the marks in my flip flops. I never really noticed this before, but I tend to gravitate towards objects that help me remember things, or give me an idea of the past. I should probably attempt to discover more versatile things in the future....

No comments:

Post a Comment