Friday, February 20, 2009

after thoughts on after life

The movie we watched yesterday in class was probably the best movie I have seen in a long time. After Life presented an interesting perspective on what happens after we pass away. Most people believe in heaven or hell situation, which is honestly the notion I grew up with. However, I prefer the idea this film created. Memories are our existence. Without them we are pretty much nothing. Take for example, a person with amnesia. They can't remember their own identity, and who they have become. The film got me thinking what memory I would choose to see for eternity, but it also made me ask myself, would it really be "just" that memory for the rest of my life, or would I, because of the recreation, be able to remember more. My memory would be a road trip I took with my mom to visit colleges. Yet, that memory in and of itself triggers so many other memories. Would it be possible to remember them just by watching that scene over and over again? The character who had worked recreating memories and then passed on in the end touched on that notion I think. He told the girl he would never forget the experiences they had, and I wonder if by including all of his co-workers in his memory, could he possibly remember the times they all had shared? It is an interesting thing to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment