Wednesday, March 25, 2009

scrapbook quatorze


While on the subject of items my ancestors stole, this is another favorite decoration in my house. Technically, these weren't stolen, they were recycled. This is a giant wooden spool from a textile factory. We have a series of them in alternating heights along our fireplace, with a candle placed in the small opening at the top. In the case of this one, it is about the third of the height of the fire place and just stands out among the rest. According to my grandmother, her grandmother was the one who took these trashed items home as accents in their sparsely decorated home, and we've been using them ever since. I have to laugh at how green my family was long before green was the trend. It's like the saying, One person's trash is another person's treasure. In today's society, you can buy elaborately decorated candlesticks, handcarved and molded to perfection. If you ask me, I'd rather have these any day. The simplicity of its nature makes it unique as well. This, like the molds, is not art, but was probably used to create art in the 1800's. Maybe the thread from this spool went into a lavish fabric or textile. Or maybe it was a part of a simple cloth as well. I think history makes up for a lack of artistic label. What it started as to where it is now is far more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment