Thursday, March 12, 2009

scrapbook onze


I found this object at a yard sale a few months ago and was fascinated by it. Originally I just thought it was a giant paper clip, meant to be an ornament for your office, room, etc. My mom told me, however, that it is a paper holder. Apparently they were really popular a while back, and I only wished I could have been around to experience the hoopla. Paperclips are handy items, but are common place because you can find them anywhere. To take the same shape and enlarge it, adds to both the form and function of the piece. When I don't have any paper I need to be held, the paper clip just looks schanzy sitting in front of my printer. On the other hand, it keeps me organized when I have so many different things to do. It neatly holds everything I need in order, so that it is easily accessible and available. It made me think about some of the other objects I have on my desk. The idea of form and function coming together and its effect on whether or not you want to own it. Being unique, objects stand out from the cookie cutter shapes around you. It's cool to have something like this, because no one else does. Granted I may not have the lamp that functions as a desk organzier, but this is way cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment