Thursday, March 12, 2009

scrapbook douze


This is a picture from my grandparents wedding in 1947. My grandmother was eighteen and my grandfather was nineteen. As a party favor, my aunt gave us these photos after their 60th anniversary party. It was amusing to see how they had changed over the years. In this photo they look so happy, so young. Today, they are like Frank and Marie from "Everybody Loves Raymond". Marking such an important even in their lives, this photo is extremely important to them and to our family. It shows us where we have come from and it shows them who they have become. Until their party, it didn't occur to me how young they were when they got married. At my current age, they made the ultimate decision to settle down and start raising a family. I can not image being mature enough to make that choice. Stressing out about papers and tests are one thing, but even considereing supporting a family boggles my mind. They had to be extremely strong and sure of themselves to be able to do that. When I look at them now though, that happy couple seems to have disappeared, and it makes me wonder if it was worth it. I guess deep down they love each other, but it is really hard to tell. Their wedding photo just serves as a reminder to me of how I should think before I do something that "big". Not getting married persay, since that is a ways away from ever happening, but any monumental decision in my life. I also appreciate that they stuck it out for the long haul....

No comments:

Post a Comment