Wednesday, March 11, 2009

scrapbook huit


This is a subway pass I found when I was visiting D.C. a few weeks ago with my friends. Looking at it now, the pass conveys a whole new meaning then when I first found it by the bus stop for College Park. At the time, I was drawn to it because of the meaning it held for someone else. Subway passes, when you think about it, are extremely personal items. A person purchases one to get to a specific destination to attend or accomplish a certain event. When I found this, it was already crumpled up, so I figured it had been used . Obviously, however, it is not that old, because it is commemorating Obama's inaugration. I couldn't help but wonder who had bought this? Where was he/she going? Why? Did they have a good time? My friends thought it was gross that I was picking up someone else's trash, but it's a fascinating object to me. Today, the pass doesn't not make me think of who it belonged to, but rather the god awful trek from the WWII memorial to the Lincoln memorial in the 70 mph wind gusts and in spite of it, how much fun we had. I love how when you look at any object, your emotions can change. I think it represents our growth and the passing of time, however fortunate or unfortunate it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment