Thursday, March 12, 2009

scrapbook dix


I love this object because it is repurposing something traditional into a whole new art form. This is my spoon ring. I have known about them for a while, sold some at my work, and envied my friends', so I finally bought one last weekend from Etsy. What's great about this particular one is that it was actually hand made. I know the one's from my work and one of my friend's was manufactured. Basically those were rings tweaked to look like they were originally spoons. This is a spoon tweaked to look like it was originally a ring. The details in it are amazing too. When you think about it in the context of an eating utensil, you have to wonder why it is so intricate, if all you are going to use it for is food.
Due to its duality of form, ring and spoon, its interpretation as art is split. Spoons are not art, they just help you eat. Jewelry, rings especially, let you make a statement about yourself and what you want people to think about you. I can't wait to wear this ring everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment