Wednesday, April 15, 2009

robert frank reflection


I really enjoyed the Robert Frank exhibit at the National Gallery. For some reason, unbeknownst to myself, I am drawn to black and white photography. To me, I feel like b&w adds or emphasizes the emotions of the picture. Without color your eyes focus better on the other physical qualities of the images. Although somethings seem to blend together, facial features and other aspects are more defined in way. What was really striking about his work was how he had the sequences so eloquently planned in his mind, yet most of the photographs were candid. Without the information from the tour, he subtle transitions from section to section with a flag indicating a new chapter would have gone unnoticed by myself. I also liked the room with all of the images from the Americans and how he worked hard to create his message about injustice in this country. My favorite things, however, were the images of the miners and the book he made for his wife. You can't help but notice the eyes of the miners. They fade away due to the fact they are blacked out by the coal. It was eerie to see. Some of my family members were miners and it's unbelievable to think that people go through that kind of labor daily. The book for Mary was adorable, it was cute that he strung all of their memories together, and that he cared enough to simply remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment